As you are looking for the best patio covers in Texas for your home or business, you may come across many styles, materials, and companies.
The truth is, the best patio covers will provide you with the best of all worlds: aesthetic appeal, reliability, strength, and longevity – all while remaining within your budget. The single most important aspect, however, is reliability, because if that patio cover doesn’t last, you’ve essentially thrown your money to the wind.
As you are shopping for your solution, it’s important to keep several factors in mind.
How to Find the Best Patio Covers in Texas for Your Home or Business
Before you begin exploring your options, make a few conceptual decisions regarding what you are looking for and the results you desire. Answer the following questions:
- How much can we spend?
- How large do we want our pergola to be? Should we place a cover over the deck or set up a standalone pergola, or maybe both?
- Which material should we use for the pergola cover?
- What color do we want it to be, and which design elements do we want to add?
Chances are, you may have to work with a couple different contractors to create the complete look you’re going for. But considering that the most important element is the durability of the material used for the cover and the sides, you should understand the following factors in order to choose the best patio covers in Texas for you.
The Pros and Cons of the Various Types of Materials
Patio covers are typically made of glass, wood, plastic, and sometimes metal.
- Glass: Real glass can be beautiful, but it’s also very heavy and can be dangerous if it shatters. Plexiglass isn’t as dangerous, but it also can shatter faster than metal or polycarbonate.
- Wood: Wood allows you to take advantage of various styles, but it can often warp quickly. It therefore will require regular maintenance.
- Metal: Metal is definitely durable, but it can become very hot. It also may create an industrial look, which may be OK for businesses but not so much for most homes. It can also be quite pricey.
- Fabric: Fabric is most likely going to be the least expensive option, but the design options are limited. Fabric also won’t offer any of the strength and durability benefits, and it will become drenched when it rains. That means the water may leak onto your deck or walkway.
- Plastic/Polycarbonate: Polycarbonate pergola covers offer beauty, durability, and flexibility in design. They will also keep the area under the roof cooler, and they require very little maintenance. The sheets also won’t break or crack, and they offer the greatest UV protection. The only possible downfall is that they can be scratched, but if you’re talking about the roof, the chances of that happening are slim.
Although everything depends on size, brands, and so on, metal is the most expensive material to use for a pergola roof, generally speaking.
Fabric pergola roofs may be the least expensive and can provide a quick solution, but the material isn’t ideal for long-term pergolas. These roofs also won’t provide the waterproof benefits or UV protection.
Because polycarbonate is more lightweight than many other materials while remaining extremely durable, it tends to provide the greatest return on investment.
As you are looking for the best patio covers in Texas for you, you’ll likely find that most materials would suit your style just fine. However, it’s important to match the pergola cover with the theme of your home in order to create a more integrated design.
If you choose polycarbonate covers, for instance, you can choose from a variety of colors, UV protection coatings, and reflective colors.
Strength and Durability
To ensure that your investment isn’t wasted, choosing pergola covers that are strong and durable is essential, especially here in Texas. The covers should be able to withstand rain, heavy winds, hail, extreme heat, and even the occasional freezing temperatures in the winter.
As noted above, glass can shatter in hailstorms. Wood is not as strong as steel or polycarbonate, and it can decay over time. Metal covers would be strong enough, but they could make your yard even hotter.
Polycarbonate covers last up to 20 years, and it has 250 times the impact resistance of glass. Polycarbonate pergola covers virtually won’t ever break, shatter, or crack, helping to ensure the longevity of your investment.
Contact PolymerOutdoor for a Quote
If you are looking for the best patio covers in Texas for your home or business, we have no doubt that you will find that polycarbonate covers are the right option for you.
You can also feel confident in choosing PolymerOutdoor to install your covers. You will not only have the best pergola cover materials but also the highest-quality construction, all with exceptional customer service standards.
To learn more, request a quote through our website or contact us for more information.